A horror icon of a different color was the most compelling character to shoppers at this year’s MIP Junior, as Studio 100 Media’s 100% Wolf – Legend of the Moonstone scored the No. 1 spot on the list of most-screened series at the market. The comedy-adventure series tells the story of Freddy Lupin, the heir to a proud family line of werewolves. On his 13th birthday his first “warfing” takes a shocking turn, turning him into a ferocious… poodle. Now enrolled in the prestigious Howlington Academy, Freddy must prove that he still has the heart of a werewolf!
So what if he’s a poodle? Freddy Lupin knows he’s got what it takes to win a place in the elite Night Patrol. All he’s got to do is graduate from the prestigious Howlington Academy, prove he can do anything the other wolves can and keep his pink fluffy butt out of trouble. Freddy’s off to a rough start when he makes an enemy of schoolmate Ivan Beowolf, a boy from a powerful, rival werewolf family. If that wasn’t enough, someone has stolen the sacred moonstone and is unleashing increasingly weird and dangerous animal hybrids on the town!
The CGI, 26 x 22’ series for kids 6-10 is produced by Studio 100 Media’s (Germany) Flying Bark Productions (Australia), with ABC Australia and SuperRTL Germany as commissioning broadcasters. Based on the book by Jayne Lyons.
“What makes 100% Wolf – Legend of the Moonstone special is its hilarious and dramatic concept about a boy trying to find his way in a challenging world – one in which he is an outsider,” commented Martin Krieger, CEO of Studio 100 Media. “He is a pink poodle in a world of werewolves. This guarantees a lot of laugh-out-loud humor – not leaving out the difficulties our hero Freddy has. That makes 100% Wolf a unique action-adventure best friend comedy with a very distinctive main character and a strong message with high social relevance: Heroes come in many forms! We are thrilled with the response from this year’s screening and look forward to 100% Wolf being a ‘howling’ hit with kids worldwide.”
The series pawed its way to the peak of an all-animation Top 20 list of the most eye-catching shows in the market’s screening library.
The Top 20 Most Screened Shows at MIP Junior 2019:
- 100% Wolf (Studio100 Media/GMBH) Germany
- Pikwik Pack (Guru Studio) Canada
- Mystery Lane (Hari International) France
- Agent Jon Le Bon (Zodiak Kids) France
- Alice & Lewis (Blue Spirit Productions) France
- Splat & Seymour (Blue Spirit Productions) France
- Remy & Boo (Boat Rocker) Canada
- Lupin’s Tales (Xilam) France
- 44 Cats (Rainbow) Italy
- Lupita around the Planet (Petit Fabrik) Brazil
- Abraca (Planet Nemo by Ankama) France
- Mush-Mush & the Mushables (Cake) U.K.
- Abby Hatcher (Spin Master/Viacom) Canada/U.S.
- Babyatrice (Zodiak Kids) U.K.
- 16 Hudson (Big Bad Boo Studios) Canada
- Two Happy Farmers (Rainbow) Italy
- Droners (Cyber Group Studios) France
- Stan & Gran (Jellyfish Pictures) U.K.
- Book Hungry Bears (9 Story Media) Canada
- Boy Girl Dog Cat Mouse Cheese (Cloudco Ent.) U.S.
The rest of MIP’s official Top 30 Most Screened Projects was also dominated by promising animated originals and fan-favorite characters, including That’s Joey from Superights (#21), The Smurfs from IMPS (#23), Dinocity from APC Kids (#24), Ivy & the Inklings from Jellyfish Pictures (#26), Super Shiro from TV Asahi (#27), Cry Babies Magic Tears from Zodiak Kids ($28) and Dorg Van Dango from DHX Media (#29).
The Top 10 Most Viewed Projects from the MIP Junior screening library hoping to hit their financing goals was also an all-toons shut-out:
- Scrambled (DQ Entertainment) India
- Odo (Sixteen South, Letko) Ireland/Poland
- Otto’s Tall Tales (Creative Conspiracy N.V.) Belgium
- Pop Paper City (Aardman Animations, Love Love Films) U.K.
- Hugo & Holger (Wil Film ApS) Denmark
- Meddlers (JAM Media, Milkcow Media) Ireland/Canada
- Floki (Puppetworks Budapest) Hungary
- A-Squad (Reesee Ent. Co. Ltd., Baiyi) China
- Deep in the Bowl (Zeilt Prod.) Luxembourg
- [TIE] Spookies (Wolkenlenker) Germany | The Little Girl and the Dragon (Spirit Ent., Spirit Animation Studios, Cosmos-Maya) Brazil/India
Details about these and other programs presented at MIP Junior available at www.mipjunior.com/screenings.