Sequel film opens on May 31
Warner Bros. Pictures began streaming an “exclusive final look” video for Legendary Pictures’ Godzilla sequel film Godzilla: King of the Monsters on Friday.
Warner Bros. UK is also streaming a new commercial for the film.
The film was originally slated for March 22, but is now scheduled to open on May 31. The film will also open in Japan on May 31.
Other cast members include:
- O’Shea Jackson Jr. (Straight Outta Compton)
- Aisha Hinds (Underground, Shots Fired, Under the Dome)
- Anthony Ramos (White Girl, Hamilton musical)
- Charles Dance (Game of Thrones)
- Thomas Middleditch (Silicon Valley)
- Bradley Whitford (The West Wing, Get Out, Transparent)
- Zhang Ziyi (Memoirs of a Geisha, Hero, The Grandmaster)
- Elizabeth Ludlow (The Walking Dead)
Ken Watanabe (The Last Samurai, Letters from Iwo Jima, Inception) and Sally Hawkins (Paddington, Blue Jasmine) are returning from the 2014 film.
Warner Bros. describes the film:
The new story follows the heroic efforts of the crypto-zoological agency Monarch as its members face off against a battery of god-sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah. When these ancient super-species—thought to be mere myths—rise again, they all vie for supremacy, leaving humanity’s very existence hanging in the balance.
Michael Dougherty (Krampus) is directing the sequel, after co-writing the script with his Krampus writing partner Zach Shields. Dougherty previously led the writing room collaborators who brainstormed how to unite the current Godzilla and King Kong projects under Legendary’s “MonsterVerse” franchise.
The film received a companion graphic novel on May 21 titled Godzilla: Aftershock.